After celebrating 2014’s best movies at one of the coolest Oscar parties in town on Sunday, why not go catch an all-time greatest film’s rare return to the big screen on Tuesday?
Turner Classic Movies (TCM) is screening the vintage 1942 film Casablanca in 20 cities across America to celebrate their 20 year anniversary, and you’re invited.
Our very own Minneapolis was chosen as one of those 20 cities, and Landmark Theatres Lagoon Cinema will host the event this upcoming Tuesday, March 4th at 7:30 pm. Check out the link below for free tickets.
Other cities chosen by TCM were: Baltimore, Buffalo, Dallas, Houston, Los Angeles, New York, Orlando, St. Louis, San Diego, Atlanta, Boston, Chicago, Denver, Detroit, Miami, Philadelphia, San Francisco, Seattle and Washington, D.C.
If you haven’t seen Casablanca, where have you been? It was released over 70 years ago, is a cinematic classic, and just may be the original — and still greatest — doomed romance film of all-time.
If you have seen it (thank God), here is a quick countdown of my ‘Top Ten Favorite Quotes’ (along with some great photos) from a movie that is chock full of memorable lines (and scenes):
10. “Of all the gin joints, in all the towns, in all the world, she walks into mine…”
9. “Kiss me. Kiss me as if it were the last time.”
8. “Just because you despise me, you are the only one I trust.”
7. “You know how you sound…? Like a man who’s trying to convince himself of something he doesn’t believe in his heart.”
6. “When it comes to women, you’re a true democrat.”
5. “I’m shocked — shocked to find that gambling is going on here!”
4. “I like to think you killed a man. It’s the Romantic in me…”
3. “And you never will. But I’ve got a job to do, too. Where I’m going, you can’t follow. What I’ve got to do, you can’t be any part of. Ilsa, I’m no good at being noble, but it doesn’t take much to see that the problems of three little people don’t amount to a hill of beans in this crazy world. Someday you’ll understand that.”
2. “I’m saying this because it’s true. Inside of us, we both know you belong with Victor. You’re part of his work, the thing that keeps him going. If that plane leaves the ground and you’re not with him, you’ll regret it. Maybe not today. Maybe not tomorrow, but soon and for the rest of your life.”
1. “…Here’s looking at you, kid.”
What a great film! And what a great idea by Ted Turner and TCM to screen this true classic for a whole new generation of movie goers who grow up on duds like The Monuments Men.
Check out TCM’s 20th Anniversary website for details and free tickets.
Photos via: Google