The Payne-Phalen neighborhood of St. Paul is rich in history and culture, as it served as a first settlement for many immigrants throughout Minnesota’s history. Waves of Swedish, then Irish, Italian, Polish and finally Mexican immigrants found temporary housing in the area. Now residents of the area range from a blue-collar to middle-class to upper crust. Railroad Island contains many of the oldest homes in the district. Phalen Lake Elementary is the neighborhood school. St. Paul residents also have the choice to send their children to magnet programs like Farnsworth Aerospace Magnet School. The neighborhood has excellent recreational facilities, with a park near Lake Phalen that includes trails, swimming beaches and a golf course.
- Minnesota’s Light at End COVID Tunnel: Is It the Runaway Fourth Wave Train?
- Gangsters, Gable and Gatsby- Four Historic and Fun Minnesota Side Trips
- Five Minneapolis Flights That Changed History
- Minnesota’s Majestic Theatres Survived the Polio Epidemic — Can They Outlast COVID?
- Dash Those Long COVID Winter Fears with Five Great Escapes
- Your Essential Minnesota Guide to Secure, Low Airfares and Flights
- How Minnesota COVID-19 Death Tolls Were Inflated During Stay At Home MN
- Five Craft Beer Adventures Over Land and Sea