The Payne-Phalen neighborhood of St. Paul is rich in history and culture, as it served as a first settlement for many immigrants throughout Minnesota’s history. Waves of Swedish, then Irish, Italian, Polish and finally Mexican immigrants found temporary housing in the area. Now residents of the area range from a blue-collar to middle-class to upper crust. Railroad Island contains many of the oldest homes in the district. Phalen Lake Elementary is the neighborhood school. St. Paul residents also have the choice to send their children to magnet programs like Farnsworth Aerospace Magnet School. The neighborhood has excellent recreational facilities, with a park near Lake Phalen that includes trails, swimming beaches and a golf course.
- Your Oscar Movie Favorite: Brother Where Art Thou?
- 5 Down Payment Assistance Programs to Consider in Minnesota
- Wildcatting Minnesota Oil — Boom or Bust?
- Movie Review — Rami Malek Shines as Freddie Mercury in ‘Bohemian Rhapsody’
- “I’ll Take Murder for $100 Alex” — The Mysterious Death of Dorothy Kilgallen
- Movie Review — ‘A Star is Born’ Features Oscar-Worthy Performances From Bradley Cooper and Lady Gaga
- Movie Review — ‘The Predator’ is Another Poor Attempt at Rebooting a Franchise
- Movie Review — ‘Peppermint’ is a Forgettable Revenge Flick