The Minnesota Twins season got off to a turbulent start when it was announced last week Miguel Sano would be lost for the 2014 season. The 20-year-old third basemen is one of the Twins most promising prospects — he will need Tommy John surgery on his throwing arm.
He had been working to rehabilitate the injury as Twins personnel and famed surgeon Dr. James Andrews recommended rest for Sano in early November. But now it appears surgery is necessary for Sano to return to 100%.
The Associated Press has the details of the story:
Despite making strides during a two-month throwing program, Sano reported pain in his elbow after making an off-balance throw during an intrasquad game Thursday, Feb. 27.
An MRI exam revealed a partially torn ligament.
“When I threw a couple days ago, (there was) no injury, no pain, nothing. When I threw to first, it hurt a little and I talked to the trainer,” Sano said. “I think when I come back I will be the same player.”
The Twins said the surgery will likely take place within the next several weeks.
The recovery period for position players is shorter than it is for pitchers undergoing Tommy John surgery.
The Twins expect Sano to resume hitting in about four months, and he should return to playing the field in eight months.
In the meantime, Trevor Plouffe should feel less pressure to maintain his starting job at third base for the Twins. Whether or not that is a good thing remains to be seen. On a positive note, Plouffe has added ten pounds of muscle this spring and appears more focused than prior seasons, according to multiple reports.
Photo via: Google and AP Photo